Welcome to my Review Blog!!

I am a PR friendly blogger! For my media kit, please visit my main blog, My Little Life, and click on "Disclaimer"!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Gatorade Sports Moms and Stephanie Hamm


Winner Update: I received word from BlogHer on the winner...their randomly selected number was #50, who was:


Congrats, angie lilly!! I've sent you a confirmation email that needs your attention!

"Athletes are athletes all day long."
-Lisa, GSSI Scientist

I recently had the opportunity to take part in a conference call with Stephanie Hamm (mother of famed soccer star, Mia Hamm) and Lisa Esposito, scientist with the Gatorade Sports Science Institute.

Holy smokes, guys, did I learn a lot!

First off...Stephanie Hamm is an inspiration! She raised six kids as a "military mom/wife" and had some great tips for those of us who are "Sports Moms". What amazed me about Stephanie, was her ability to provide attention to each one of her children while raising a superstar athlete!

Stephanie was amazingly down to earth and candid about her life as a Sports Mom. I would've LOVED to have been able to sit down, one-on-one, with her and pick her brain about her life as a super Sports Mom!

Gatorade.com/moms features Stephanie Hamm as their "Sports Mom" in their recent YouTube video...check it out, you'll see what I mean about how amazing Stephanie is!

Our time on the call with Lisa was incredible. The information that we received was eye-opening, and made me realize how little I knew about the science behind Gatorade and the needs of our young athletes.


"The better you fuel, the better you feel." Like mentioned in my last Gatorade post, 70% of our young athletes are showing up to perform dehydrated. THREE out of FOUR kids are exerting their bodies when they are not at their prime.


That still amazes me.

Sweating is our body's way of cooling us down and, obviously, when we sweat, we lose fluid. Think, then, that most of us are sending our kids to their sporting events with depleted fluid reserves...in other words, with less reserves to cool their bodies when they need it most!

When we sweat, not only do we lose fluid, we lose sodium among other electrolytes. The more sodium lost, the greater the likelihood of your athlete getting cramps.

I also mentioned in my last post, that it is important for our athletes to consume protein after exercise...but did you know that carbohydrates before AND during activity can improve performance?

(Oh, and also, sticking out your tongue may also improve performance...or maybe not!) ;)

It's true! Do you know what this means for your runner or your swimmer? Talk about bettering their times!

Taking what I learned from this call, I have realized that I need to focus on getting my kids to eat differently and DRINK MORE!! Particularly during our summer sports, when kids lose fluid from exertion, as well as from the heat. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!


Do the pee test to see how well hydrated you are. Your pee should have a slight color to it (clear pee means you're over hydrated, which means that what you're putting in is basically just going right through...)...if it's dark, like apple juice, that can signify dehydration.

Lemonade pee? Just about perfect! ;)

All of this said, I realize I need to step up my game. I need to take the knowledge I received and act on it. Packing protein for the Pal to snack on during the bus ride home, encouraging him to push the fluids during games (preferably, carbohydrate containing fluids, like Gatorade), and making sure he is well hydrated to begin with!

Want a chance to win a $100 Dick's Sporting Goods gift card? Just leave me a comment (official sweepstakes dates are 6/1-6/30), and tell me how you fuel up your kids before performance!

Be sure you check out the Prizes & Promotions section for more posts from Sports Moms and more chances to win!

Don't forget, you can Visit the Official site to check out everything Gatorade has to offer.

Visit the Official Rules and see the following for the complete list of rules:

Rules:

No duplicate comments.

You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry
methods:

a) Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post

b) Tweet about this promotion and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment
on this post

c) Blog about this promotion and leave the URL to that post in a comment on
this post

d) For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about
an alternate form of entry.


This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older

Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail.

You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be
selected.

The Official Rules are available here.




72 comments:

Mami2jcn said...

My kids go for water!

mami2jcn at gmail dot com

Mami2jcn said...

tweet:

http://twitter.com/mami2jcn/status/75942057121820673

mami2jcn at gmail dot com

Lesley Mitchell said...

We keep fuel up our kids with Gatorade!
lesleymitchell52@yahoo.com

Jennifer said...

We are Gatorade drinkers! And hubs loves Dick's Sporting Goods!

Here's a link to my blog post about the giveaway!

http://bje-life.blogspot.com/2011/06/100-dicks-sporting-goods-gift-card.html

http://bje-life.blogspot.com
jenniferelkins7@gmail.com

karenmed409 said...

I encourage them to drink juices or water. I keep cut up celery and apples for quick snacks, along with individual peanut butter cups they can dip the veggies and fruit in. Get plenty of rest each night karenmed409 at comcast dot net

Tiffany said...

I have my daughter drink water, lemonade or 100% fruit juice before her acro, dance classes. She always eats a snack on the ride to class which is crackers and cheese, donuts(sometimes) or granola bars.

And her instructors always give them a water break halfway through class.

Sandy said...

We're BIG water hounds here in the PMD house. Our bottles are basically apendages of our arms. My husband, however, drinks Gatorade by the GALLON!

dawn @ Coming to a Nursery near You said...

when my son plays hockey (outdoor roller hockey), I make sure he drinks plenty of water before the game, and then he drinks gatorade during the game. This past Tuesday, it was 100 degrees during their game and he downed 3 gatorades - so I knew he was staying hydrated underneath all those goalie pads. And they won!

Meghan said...

My kids are old enough, but my Mom trained me and my sister up right in the sports prep hydration! We didn't have carbonated or sugary drinks on game day, we both had a "in-game" stash of cold water bottles and gatorades, and she was always on the sidelines if we needed more! We played tennis, softball, cheerleading, golf and lifeguarded throughout our high school days and we learned the program early!

wigget said...

snacks and water

Heather (One Take On Life) said...

My kids love water!

amelia said...

Water, water, water! I've found giving me toddler her own spill-proof Nalgene bottle helps. I am constantly drinking Gatorade after me runs - my daughter gets jealous and has to have her own cup.

Clarke & Lewis said...

Lots of fluids
Also a good breakfast- usually oatmeal

Clarke & Lewis said...

http://twitter.com/#!/rsmc1/status/77574898737885184

JC said...

Mainly water and fruit smoothies.

JC said...

http://twitter.com/tcarolinep/status/78310954298908672

trooppetrie said...

My family loves the green gatorade. i enjoy water. but with 10 and 20 mile hikes gatorade is the better choice for us

kswederski said...

I give my kids water, fruit and cheese before they play ball.

princessr9 said...

I always just give my kiddos water, I should probably be giving them gatorade too. Especially the boy when he goes on hikes with his scout troop.

Life, Crafts and Whatever said...

We're a big fan of water!

jenfur427 at hotmail.com

Life, Crafts and Whatever said...

I tweeted this!

http://twitter.com/#!/jenfur427/status/79566130431279104

jenfur427 @ hotmail.com

Nicole said...

My little man is too young for spots, but I want to raise him to love water!

susan1215 said...

We bring healthy snacks and water when we play sports

s2s2 at comcast dot net

susan1215 said...

http://twitter.com/#!/susan1215/status/79610793791987713

s2s2 at comcast dot net

MCantu1019 said...

Make sure they're hydrated.

BethElderton said...

A high protein snack and lots of water.
bethelderton59 at gmail dot com

melsywsou said...

Gatorade has been a staple in my households.

Kate said...

We're a water family! But we do drink Gatorade at the dance recital each year.

miss.kate@verizon.net

Ashleigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashleigh said...

I usually give my son gatorade. My husband gets it from work, and my son thinks he is getting a treat! Otherwise I am a big fan of crystal light, the sunrise graprefruit variety!

wap.family@hotmail.com

lyndsey said...

lots of fluids!!
lyndsey dot hauck at gmail dot com

Sandy said...

Lots of water, and protein!

Tracey said...

I feed Liz a light lunch with fruit for dessert before she plays softball.
traymona[at]aol.com

Selinda said...

We always use Gatorade before and during our soccer games and practices!

Thanks,

selinda_mccumbers at yahoo.com

Tina said...

My kids love water and fruit
merleandtina@yahoo.com

Tina said...

http://twitter.com/#!/HappyTina0115/status/81181505480691712
merleandtina@yahoo.com

marcia goss said...

When my kids were little, we would provide water or Gatorade and fresh fruit.
marcia.goss@gmail.com

marcia goss said...

Tweet.
http://twitter.com/#!/mgoss123/status/81760045108445184
marcia.goss@gmail.com

Georgia said...

Sleep was the most important thing first then good food and pushing time. Being a sports mom was hard work.

gmissycat at yahoo dot com

Georgia said...

Tweeted here too

http://twitter.com/#!/gmissycat/status/81879614259077120

gmissycat at yahoo dot com

Laura said...

My kids love water, lots and lots of water!

corrinesan said...

always sure that my kid has fiber and protein when she has sugars - that way, she's got the energy to get going and to keep going!

Anonymous said...

Grilled cheese sandwiches are my go to fuel.

sylvieanddudes@yahoo.com

Helen Keeler said...

When I take the grandkids to sporting events it is lots of water. But they do break out the gatorade during and after the games. Hydration is so important. helenkeeler@comcast.net

Helen Keeler said...

I follow on twitter @helen1949 and tweeted: http://twitter.com/#!/helen1949/status/85573524382691328
helenkeeler@comcast.net

Kelli said...

My kids go for water most days, but drink Gatorade when it's really hot and they're really working up a sweat.

Jaclyn Hicks said...

I don't have children (yet), but my husband is an avid runner, even in the Texas heat, so I always make sure he has his camelbak full of water, and that he drinks gatorade before the run. As for me, whenever I spend a lengthy amount of time outside, I always keep my water bottle handy!

K. Bryant said...

We drink water or strawberry gatorade to "fuel" ourselves before soccer. We like to add fruit to our water to add flavor.

K. Bryant said...

By the way- I am soooo jealous you had the opportunity to speak to Mia Hamm's mother! I am a HUGE Mia fan!

angie lilly said...

I don't have kids, but I can say that anytime I feel dehydration kicking in, I always reach for water or Gatorade. I also use Gatorade to keep hydrated when I am sick!
Angie
14earth at gmail dot com

angie lilly said...

I tweeted here: http://twitter.com/#!/FotoMacro/status/85751041559248896
Angie
14earth at gmail dot com

Mom24 said...

My biggest thing is just to get them to eat SOMETHING! Seriously. I try for carbs, with some protein, but the biggest thing is just to get something in them so they'll have energy.

Amber said...

We do lots of water around here..even when just playing outside to keep hydrated, but when my son is playing a sport he likes to drink gatorade or powerade!

layne said...

No kids. But for myself, good ol H2O. I love ice cold water after a workout. It's a must in this Alabama heat!

coriwestphal said...

A good healthy meal is vital to top performance. No heavy desserts, just the good stuff. That way they have energy to keep going! and we save the treats for celebration after a hard days work!

coriwestphal at msn dot com

coriwestphal said...

Tweet: http://twitter.com/coriwestphal/statuses/85912583370059777

coriwestphal at msn dot com

Angelene said...

My kids love to drink gatarode or powerade to keep up their energy during their games

angukena at yahoo dot com

Angelene said...

I tweeted

http://twitter.com/#!/angukena1/status/85917568136773632

angukena at yahoo dot com

Ashley said...

My son is only 2 but he loves to taste daddies gatoraid when he has been working out, mowing, or playing sports.

mama marchand said...

My hubby (my big kid!) fuels up with Gatorade. He loves the blue flavor!

mama@mamamarchand.com

mama marchand said...

I tweeted!

http://twitter.com/#!/mamamarchand/status/86064617062801409

debsweeps4 said...

I give him a light snack and make sure he drinks plenty of water. debsweeps4@yahoo.com

Kim C. said...

my kids fuel up with gatorade and water!
xxkimhcxx@gmail.com

Kim C. said...

https://twitter.com/xxkimhcxx/status/86303107042119680
tweeted
xxkimhcxx@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

My kids get ready with water and a protein packed snack.

julie(dot)purin(at)hotmail(dot)com

kolpin said...

we eat fruit!

kolpin4680 at gmail dot com

kolpin said...

tweet
http://twitter.com/#!/kolpin4680/status/86483684424814592

~dab said...

I make sure he has a healthy meal before hand - complex carbs, protein and lots of veggies.

Howell said...

I give them chocolate milk--rec'd by tennis magazine.

hlee99 (at) gmail (dot) com

wizardewu said...

I give them bananas and fig newtons for fuel and potassium.

eugeniewu at gmail dot com

stacy said...

Fresh fruits like bananas, apples, and orange slices. Sometimes a protein like cheese or peanut butter as well.

the imagine tree at aol dot com

Gaines7 said...

Thank you for this opportunity. I ensure the kids eat a well-balanced meal and consume plenty of water. gainessimmons@aol.com